Can't Have One Without The Other
1. Sometimes individuals attempt to separate things which go together thereby trying to have one with the other.
2. Yet, there are some things which are inseparable.
3. Let's take a look at some things in which one cannot be had without the other.
I. FAITH AND WORKS
A. Many teach today that individuals can have an acceptable faith toward God without works.
B. James 2:14-26
C. Hebrews 11
D. Remember the serpent in the wilderness (21:1-9)?
E. Suppose Noah had said: "God, I believe" and yet failed to prepare the ark?
F. There are different types of works in the Bible.
1. Works of the Law (Ga. 2:16)
2. Works of the flesh (Ga. 5:19)
3. Works of darkness (Eph. 5:11)
4. Works of righteousness (Ti. 3:5)
5. Works which one can boast of (Eph. 2:9)
6. Works of God (Jn. 6:28,29)
G. God says we must obey Him (Heb. 11:6; Rev. 22:14).
II. CHRIST AND THE CHURCH
A. Someone may exclaim: "Just give me Jesus and keep the church!"
B. This may result from being misinformed about the closeness of Christ and the church.
C. Jesus is the head of the body (Col. 1:18,24).
D. When Christ is preached, so is the Kingdom!
E. Acts 8:12,13
F. The Lord adds the saved to the church (Ac. 2:47).
G. Relative to the church:
1. Jesus built it (Mt. 16:18)
2. Jesus purchased it with his own blood (Ac. 20:28)
3. Jesus is the Savior of it (Eph. 5:23)
4. Jesus is the head of it (Col. 1:18).
5. Jesus is its' one foundation (1 Cor. 3:11)
H. There simply is no separating Christ and the church!
III. CHRISTIANITY AND SUFFERING
A. No one wants to suffer, per se.
B. Yet, we know that persecution has followed righteous living.
C. 2 Timothy 3:12
D. Matthew 5:10-12
E. Luke 6:22,23
F. 1 Peter 4:16
G. Acts 5:40-42
H. Revelation 2:10
IV. SALVATION AND BAPTISM
A. Many today want to have salvation but do not want to do what the Lord commanded to have it.
B. Baptism alone does not save. In fact, nothing alone saves.
C. Yet, the Lord commanded baptism in order to have the forgiveness of one's sins.
D. Notice the following passages:
1. Mark 16:16
2. Acts 2:38
3. Acts 22:16
4. Romans 6:1-6
5. 1 Corinthians 12:13
6. Galatians 3:26-28
7. 1 Peter 3:21
E. Salvation and baptism go hand-in-hand. You cannot have one without the other!
V. BLESSINGS AND BEING IN CHRIST
A. There are blessings of a physical nature and there are blessings of a spiritual nature.
B. Matthew 5:45
C. Are you aware that there are no spiritual blessings outside of Christ?
D. Ephesians 1:3
E. Salvation is in Christ (2 Tm. 2:10).
F. We are the children of God, by faith, in Christ (Gal. 3:26).
G. Acts 4:12
VI. REST AND LABOR
A. Revelation 14:13
B. Serving God is hard work.
C. Galatians 6:9
D. Matthew 11:28-30
E. 2 Thessalonians 1:6-9
1. There is a home in Heaven that awaits the faithful.
2. Are you ready?
3. Become a Christian today by:
A. Hearing (Ro. 10:17)
B. Believing (Jn. 8:24)
C. Repenting (Lk. 13:3)
D. Confessing (Mt. 10:32,33)
E. Baptized (Ac. 2:38)