Is There Only One New Testament Church?
“ upon this rock I will build My church”. Anyone serious in asking the above question needs to try to grasp various Biblical examples. We can focus on some of these form the OT and progress to NT.
1. God gave Noah only one pattern for the ark, as revealed in Genesis 6:14-22. Verse 22 states, “ thus did Noah according to all that God commanded him, so he did”.
2. God gave Moses only one pattern for the tabernacle, as revealed in Exodus 25:9, 40:16, “ thus did Moses according to all God commanded him.
3. God gave David, who delivered it to his son, Solomon, only one pattern for the temples as revealed in I Chron. 28:11,12,18. Verse 19 says, “ all this, said David, the Lord made me understand in writing, by His hand upon me, all the works of these plans.”.
4. God gave Joshua only one pattern for the destruction of the walls of Jericho. Joshua 6:1-21. Hebrews 11:30, “ by faith the walls of Jericho fell down”. Joshua did according to the pattern.
5. God gave only one pattern to Naaman, by His prophet Elisha, for the cleansing of his leprosy. II Kings 5:1-14. Verse 14, “ so he went down and dipped seven times in the Jordan, according to the say of the man of God, and his flesh was restored as a little child”.
6. God gave only one Son ( the only begotten Son. John 1:14,18, 3:16. He shed His blood on the cross and seal only one NT, as the only pattern for man today. Matthew 26:28, “ this is My blood of the new covenant”>
7. In the NT, the pattern of sound words. II Timothy 1:13, I Timothy 6:3. So, as we have sound words;
a. Christ promising to build one church. Matt. 16:13-19.
b. Christ stating that His blood was that of the NT. Matt. 26:26-28.
c. Peter quoting Moses as the prophet, Christ Jesus, that the people in the NT were to obey or be destroyed.
d. Paul speaking of the gospel as the power of God to save mankind. Romans 1:16
e. Paul saying that the revelation of the mystery hid in God so long has been revealed. Rom. 16:25.
f. Paul stating that all nations is given the command unto obedience of faith (THE). Rom. 16:26.
g. Paul declaring the gospel contained the death, burial, and the resurrection of Christ. 1 Cor. 15:1-4. And that the authority is from the Lord. II Cor. 13:13.
h. Paul made known we are Abraham’s seed, heirs of the promise, only if we are Christ’s. Gal. 3:29
i. Paul revealed that God had purposed the church in His eternal purpose. Eph. 3:10,11.
Step by step the Scriptures , from OT to NT, revealed the plan, the guideline, the pattern and blueprint of God. we have recorded, a virgin gives birth to the Christ child, he grows, matures, is immersed to fulfill all righteousness, has three and a half years of public ministry, promises to build His church, lays down the principles by which it is to be governed. Chose twelve men and sent them to preach these principles, the gospel, the standard, the pattern of sound words, the rule by which we find our answers on what to do.
The standard, rule, pattern, will only reveal one church.
- CL Bruner