Jesus said, "I AM...."
Jesus, who is both the Son of God and the Son of man, made a number of statements indicating Who or what He is from different aspects or viewpoints. Consider the following statements made by Jesus Christ. He said:
1. “I AM ALPHA AND OMEGA, THE BEGINNING AND THE END, THE FIRST AND THE LAST”. Rev. 1:6, 22:13. No doubt, Jesus has always existed and always will. He is the creator of all things and by Him all things consist.
2. “I AM THE ROOT AND THE OFFSPRING OF DAVID, AND THE BRIGHT AND MORNING STAR”. Rev. 22:16. According to the flesh, Jesus came of the seed of David, but Jesus was the creator of David from whom David sprang.
3. ‘I AM THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD’. John 8:12. Jesus the Light came into a world of darkness that men might have the light of life.
4. ‘I AM THE BREAD OF LIFE’. John 6:35. Indeed, Jesus is the bread which men may eat and live forever. Do you desire to live forever? If so, eat of that bread.
5. ‘I AM THE TRUE VINE. John 15:1, 5. For a branch to receive nourishment from the vine it must remain in the vine. For us to receive spiritual nourishment, we must abide in Jesus the Vine. To abide in the Vine, we must bear fruit.
6. ‘I AM THE GOOD SHEPHERD’. John 10:11. Jesus is the Shepherd. Saints are the sheep. There is only one fold and one shepherd. Both Jews and Gentiles (who are Christians) are in the one fold. Eph. 2:11-22. The Shepherd oversees feeds and protects His sheep.
7. “I AM THE DOOR”. John 10:9. Jesus further declared, “By me if any man enter in, he shall be saved”. There is no one else through whom we may enter to be saved. Others are imposters. They are thieves, hirelings, etc. To enter you must follow directions of the Shepherd. He knows the way to enter.
8. “I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE”. John 14:6. Jesus is not one of the any ways, but He is the one and only Way. Jesus is not one of many truths, but He is the one and only Truth. Jesus is not one of the many lives, but He is the one and only Life. If you desire Life you must enter the Way by accepting and obeying the Truth.
9. “I AM HE WHO SEARCHETH THE MINDS AND HEARTS. Rev. 2:23. Christ not only knows our works, but also our thoughts and motives. He examines our hearts. To each of the seven churches of Asia, Jesus said, “I know thy works”. He also knew what they loved and what they hated.
10. “I AM HE THAT LIVETH AND WAS DEAD”. Rev. 1:18. All others who claim to be “Savior’s” have died or will die. However, Jesus is unique in that he died but death could not hold Him. He arose. He ever lives. Thanks be to God. Although Jesus Christ our Lord “was made of the seed of David according to the flesh”, He was, “declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the Spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead. Rom. 1:3,4
11. “I AM THE RESURRECTION AND THE LIFE”. John 11:25. Because of the power of Jesus Christ, those who believe in Him shall live. When Jesus comes again, “all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good unto everlasting life, and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. John 5:28, 29.
Jesus Christ is a sufficient Savior.
- CL Bruner